Update: Journalist Syndicate trial adjourned for 3rd time, to July 2

Abdeen Court, Cairo decided on Saturday to adjourn to July 2 the trial of three leading members of the Egyptian Journalists Syndicate accused of harboring two colleagues wanted by police, as well as circulating false news.

The court convened on Saturday for the trial of Journalist Syndicate Chief Yehia Qallash, Syndicate Secretary General Gamal Abdel Rahim and the Khaled al-Balshy, chief of the syndicate's freedoms committee.

However, the hearings have been postponed for another time in order to hear the testimonies of prosecution witnesses.

Saturday saw tightened security measures at Abdeen Court, Cairo, shortly before the start of the trial. Central Security trucks were visible at the scene, with extra security guards stationed at all the gates of the court, located in downtown Cairo. 

The defendants were scheduled to stand trial on Saturday June 4, but the case was adjourned to June 18, in response to the defense lawyer's request for more time to study the case. On June 18, the court adjourned the trial for a second time, to June 25. 

Qallash, Rahim and Balshy were arrested in the wake of a stand-off between the syndicate and the Interior Ministry after the journalists Amr Badr and Mahmoud al-Sakka took refuge in the syndicate's headquarters last month, fearing arrest by police.

Badr, the editor-in-chief of, and his colleague Sakka were wanted on warrant for spreading false news and seeking to incite illegal protests, scheduled for April 25, against the maritime border agreement between Egypt and Saudi Arabia earlier that month.

They took shelter in the syndicate's headquarters in downtown Cairo as police searched for them at their homes.

After police officers entered the syndicate to detain Badr and Sakka, the syndicate's leadership made claims that the ministry had used excessive force in its "raid" on the journalist body's HQ building in downtown Cairo.

Qallash, Rahim and Balshy were previously granted bail of LE10,000 each but decided to remain in custody.

Related Articles

Back to top button