Ten injured in Sharm el-Sheikh hotel gas explosion

A gas cylinder leak in a Sharm el-Sheikh hotel cafeteria on Monday evening caused an explosion, wounding ten Egyptian workers according to a security source.

Civil protection forces immediately moved to the scene and put out the fire.

The injured were transferred to hospital and legal action was taken regarding the incident.

Previous gas explosions in Egypt include an incident in 2016, when gas cylinder exploded inside a building in a western Alexandrian neighborhood, causing the collapse of three buildings and the injury of one person.

The dispatched police team discovered that the blast had happened on the first floor, where a resident (referred to in reports by the initials N.H.) was preparing tea on a stove supplied by a gas canister that exploded.

In 2012, six people, including two rescue workers, were seriously injured Monday when four gas cylinders exploded in a popular restaurant in Miami, east of Alexandria.

Police found that a gas leak from one canister at Abu Rabia Restaurant had caused the fire, which was followed by a chain of explosions.

Many European countries announced a flight ban on Sharm el-Sheikh after a Russian passenger plane crashed in Sinai in October 2015. Since then, the Egyptian government has made efforts to implement a sophisticated security system to cover the entire city, especially the airport.

Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm

Related Articles

Back to top button