Prosecution detains main suspect in murder case at Heliopolis cafe

The Heliopolis prosecution office in Cairo on Monday detained the main suspect in the murder of a young man at a cafe after a row over the bill, pending investigations.

Judicial sources told Al-Masry Al-Youm that the main suspect Amr Mostafa, also known as Faza'a, was arrested while in possession of 2g of heroin.

The prosecution also ordered the detention of cafe owner Osama al-Naggar, and manager Abel Raouf Mahmoud after they admitted their involvment in the incident.

Mahmoud Bayoumi, 24, was stabbed to death on Sunday following a violent argument with workers at Keif cafe, after the final African Cup of Nations match between Egypt and Cameron.

Police investigations showed that after the match was over, the waiters locked customers inside the coffee shop and asked everyone to pay the bill before leaving. Bayoumi, the deceased, objected to the way the waiters were treating the customers, which resulted in a heated argument between him and the staff members.

The argument soon escalated between both parties and Bayoumi was reportedly hit by a metal chair, a belt, and stabbed twice with a sharp metal object, once in the stomach and another time in the chest, leading to his death.

Bayoumi was born in Mansoura, Daqahlia governorate, and graduated in 2015 with a Bachelor's degree in Marketing from the British University in Egypt.

He died as soon as he was admitted to Cleopatra hospital, due to his critical condition.

Police forces shut down the Keif cafe on Tuesday, and also raided unlicensed coffee shops in Heliopolis. The deputy governor of Cairo, Ahmed Taimour, said the police shut down 11 unlicensed coffee shops in the neighborhood.

In Daqahlia, hundreds attended the funeral of Bayoumi in the city of Mansoura on Monday. His family refused to talk to the media about the incident, saying they are waiting for the perpetrators to be punished through the court.

Friends of the victim started a hashtag with his name, demanding that security agencies hold accountable those responsible for the incident. Mansoura University published an obituary on its official website, and extended its condolences to the deceased's father and uncle.

Related Articles

Back to top button