Egyptian MPs accuse UK of negligence in investigating death of Mariam Moustafa


The Egyptian Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee on Tuesday met with the family of Egyptian student Mariam Moustafa, who died after being viciously assaulted in London last March.

According to Al-Ahram newspaper, the Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee met with Mariam’s parents to reassure them that Parliament is following up the ongoing investigations on the assault incident.

Committee member Tarek al-Kholy said that the Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee would start communication with the Health and Foreign Affairs committees of the UK Parliament to get updates.

He added that details of the incident imply medical negligence when Moustafa was transferred to hospital, along with inaction from UK authorities to progress in the investigations.

Kholy said that the assault incident against Mariam is related to hate and racism, and that the next step will be to escalate the case to reach the UN Human Right’s Council.

Moustafa, an engineering student and resident of Nottingham city, was severely beaten by a group of young women and died from her injuries soon after on March 14 in Britain.

In response to the incident, Egypt’s Foreign Affairs Ministry said that it is closely following up on the legal steps related to the attack.

Foreign ministry spokesperson Ahmed Abu Zeid said in the statement that the ministry will continue following up on the case until the perpetrators are brought to justice.

He added that anyone proven to be involved or responsible for negligence in providing necessary health care to Moustafa during her stay at the hospital will also be held accountable.

Public attention to the case first came when Moustafa’s mother said in a video that her daughter was subjected to cruel assault from 10 British girls of African descent.

She added that the reasons for the assault were not clear, noting that the incident took place four months earlier. She suspected that racism might have been the motivation.

”My daughter managed to escape from the girls and tried to hide in one of the buses, but the girls continued beating her until she lost consciousness.

The bus driver called the ambulance, Moustafa’s mother said, adding that the British police have not arrested the girls far.


Related Articles

Back to top button