Well-placed sources in Egypt's Irrigation Ministry on Tuesday said that Cairo considers alternatives to revive talks on the Ethiopian Renaissance Dam after withdrawal of the Dutch consultancy office.
The sources said that the Dutch consultancy office has decided not to participate in studies as it refused conditions imposed by the Tripartite National Committee that includes representatives from Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia, and the French consultancy firm BRL.
The Dutch firm said that these conditions did not provide sufficient guarantees to carry out an independent high-quality study, the sources added.
The sources revealed that Egyptian caretaker irrigation minister of Hossam Moghazi started a series of consultations with Egyptian members of the Tripartite National Committee and his senior aides to discuss the Egyptian position after the withdrawal recent developments.
The sources ruled out Egypt's and Sudan's approval to allow the French firm to complete the needed studies alone.
They also ruled out any possibility to re-launch technical proposals to conduct studies on international experienced companies as any waste of time is not in favor of Egypt and Sudan, the sources added.
Earlier in August, the TNC previously agreed to give 70 percent of the research workload to the French consultancy firm, while the other 30 percent was given to the Dutch firm.
The two foreign consultancy firms were supposed to reach an agreement and deliver their reports 5 September to a committee of representatives and experts from Egypt, Ethiopia and Sudan.